Steps to use diatomaceous earth for flea control
- Always use food grade DE powder for organic flea control. Remember that not all DE powders are the same and the ones used in swimming pool or charcoal filters are known to contain unnatural ingredients that may be carcinogenic. Most organic variants that are used for pest control are heat treated and hence assume the crystalline form. The amorphous varieties of DE powder are also obtained from fresh water sources.
- Ensure using gardening gloves when handling the diatomaceous earth as it is dehydrating and can dry the skin. Similarly, to prevent the dust from harming the mucous membranes, you must wear a dust mask for protecting the mouth and nose.
- Before sprinkling the powder indoors on carpets, make sure you completely vacuum these areas.
- Allow the diatomaceous earth to remain on the carpets for at least 3 days thereafter you can vacuum them. This ensures that the eggs, larvae as well as adult fleas are taken care of by the powder.
- As stated before, it is essential to reapply the powder every week for 30 days and continue to vacuum every 3 days after application.
Benefits of using diatomaceous earth for flea control
There are many benefits for using diatomaceous earth for controlling fleas in your home:
- It is non toxic and safe for humans as well as pets making it the best alternative to harmful chemicals and sprays.
- Food grade organic DE powder is readily available in gardening supply stores.
- It has a mechanical action, so, unlike other chemical flea control products, the fleas do not get immune to it.
- Organic DE powder can also be directly applied to the pets’ coats along the backbone, taking care not to get the powder in the pet’s eyes.’
- Many pet owners also use diatomaceous earth in their pets’ food to prevent joint and hip problems. It is excellent for de-worming.
- As well as dogs and cats, DE powders can also be used to treat fleas, mites, ticks, and lice etc. on birds as well as livestock such as pigs, cows, horses, pigs, sheep, rabbits etc.
Sizes: 275g shaker bottle, 300g, 600g, 1.8kg